Friday 12 July 2013

Nasi Ayam Penyet (Smash Chicken Rice): Recipe from Indonesia

Haha...my very first Nasi Ayam Penyet. People said it is a popular dish at Sarawak though it's original from Indonesia (correct me if I'm wrong). But seriously I never ate it when I was at Sarawak... I'm Sarawak yea....Funny thing is...One day I went out for dinner with someone some where at Wangsa Maju and he introduced me to this dish which I like very much. Since then, I kept on came to that small restaurant (kedai makan tepi jalan) to enjoy my Nasi Ayam Penyet. 
So, until when I need to go there just to have the best Nasi Ayam Penyet? some more I'm staying at Putrajaya...How if I'm transfer back to my hometown? I have to learn. Blogging time.... Here finally I have made my own recipe, my very own style Nasi Ayam Penyet.



To make it even more easier, separated these 3 main parts during cooking: rice, chicken and sambal. To me the best Ayam Penyet will be with the best Ayam Penyet sambal.

Chicken Ingredients:
1 whole chicken (cleaned and cut into 8 pieces)
1 tea spoon cumin -->jintan putih
1 tea spoon fennel seeds-->jintan manis
1 table spoon coriander seeds -->biji ketumbar
1 tea spoon chicken curry powder -->serbuk kari
1 tea spoon turmeric powder -->serbuk kunyit
1 tea spoon black pepper powder --> serbuk lada hitam
3 garlic cloves -->bawang putih
1/2 inch ginger  -->halia
little bit of water -->sedikit air
pinch of salt -->garam secukup rasa
rice flour
Oil to fry -->minyak untuk mengoreng

Rice Ingredients:
3 cups of rice (cleaned and drained)
3 garlic cloves -->bawang putih
1 cinnamon stick -->kayu manis
4 cardamon seeds -->buah pelaga
2 star anise -->bunga lawang
2 table spoon butter 
salt to taste -->garam secukup rasa
1 cube chicken stock -->pati ayam
2 table spoon oyster sauce -->sos tiram
6 sups chicken stock (from boiled chicken soup)-->air rebusan ayam

Sambal Ingredients:
10 red chillies (more for extra spicy)-->cili merah10 bird’s eye chilli -->cili padi
10 small red onion (sliced)-->bawang merah kecil
3 garlic cloves -->bawang putih
5 tomatoes (cut into cube)-->tomato
3x3 cm shrimp paste/shrimp sauce -->belacan
2 table spoon fried anchovies --> ikan bilis
3 spoon brown sugar -->gula perang



Chicken Methods:

1. Clean chicken and cut into 8 pieces
2. Boiled the chicken for about 10 minutes/ half cooked. Drained and keep at the side to marinate. Keep the chicken soup for chicken stock to boil the rice and to make chicken soup later.

3. Fry in dry pan: cumin, fennel seeds and coriander till golden brown.     

4. Then blended with curry powder, turmeric, black pepper, garlic, ginger, salt and little bit of water.

5. Marinated the chicken with this ingredients and keep in the fridge to fry later.
6. When ready to fry dip the chicken into rice flour and fry...you will get nice crispy chicken. Chicken can be change with fish, shrimps and cuttlefish for variety.
 Rice Methods:

1. Choose any rice you like, cleaned and drained.

2. Fry all this ingredients with butter until golden brown and add rice and stir for few minutes. 

3. Add chicken stock and oyster sauce and boiled until rice is properly cooked.
4. The rice is ready

Sambal Methods:





1. Fry all these tree ingredients above until soft. Then blended all together 

2. After that fry again and add some sugar and salt as your wish.

3. Finally you will get this nice spicy Sambal Ayam Penyet.


 For the Chicken Soup:


Used balance of your chicken stock to make your chicken soup. You just need to add some minced ginger and chicken stock/ salt for flavour. For serving garnish with fried onion and fresh coriander. 




No comments:

Post a Comment